|1. Sony PXW-FS7||2. Sony RX10 IV||3. Panasonic FZ1000|
What if we lived in a time-warped world?
How fascinating does it get, when you can play a clipping back – in a sluggish yet measured pace – and view all those minuscule details that you miss in real-time?
Time works differently when you have the best slow motion camera in hand. Imagine capturing almost every waking juncture of activity and then framing it in a leisurely pace.
Quick Overview: Our Top 10 Picks for Slow Motion Cameras
|Sony PXW-FS7 XdCam Super 35 Professional Camcorder||VIEW ON AMAZON →|
|Sony Cyber‑Shot RX10 IV||VIEW ON AMAZON →|
|Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 4K Point and Shoot Camera||VIEW ON AMAZON →|
|GoPro Hero 7||VIEW ON AMAZON →|
|Nikon Coolpix P1000 Digital Camera||VIEW ON AMAZON →|
|Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX100 V Digital Still Camera||VIEW ON AMAZON →|
|Sony DSC-RX10 III Cyber-shot Digital Still Camera||VIEW ON AMAZON →|
|Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 4K QFHD/HD 16X Long Zoom Digital Camera||VIEW ON AMAZON →|
|Panasonic GH5 Lumix C4K Mirrorless Camera||VIEW ON AMAZON →|
|Canon PowerShot G16 Digital Camera||VIEW ON AMAZON →|
Experiments are principally a part of life for the adventurists. Throw in a specialized camera, and you’ll receive a magician.
With adventure and sports vlogging conquering the world, professionals and amateurs are constantly on the lookout for creativity.
What can be more creative than a slow-motion effect in a film?
Through this article, I bring you the most sought after slow motion cameras to exist in the world today.
If you are ransacking the internet for details on the best slow motion camera, this is your place. With detailed coverage of features, specifications, pros, and cons I present to you a buyer guide that will assist you in choosing your best slow motion camera successfully.
Top brands boast of their innovative range of products, including the best cameras. Slow-motion being one of the trendiest effects today, these renowned brands bring the few of the very best to your doorstep.
Below reviewed are some of the bestsellers whose phenomenal innovations towards the Slow Motion feature will leave you spellbound.
With a thorough study, I hope you can perceive a more precise picture before you buy your best slow motion camera.
Top Ten Best Slow Motion Cameras 2020
1. Sony PXW-FS7 XdCam Super 35 Professional Camcorder
In the box
- 1 Viewfinder
- 1 Body Cap
- 1 Eyepiece
- 1 USB Wireless LAN
- 1 Grip Remote Control
- 1 WA Adaptor Bracket
- 1 AC Charger
- 1 Power Cord
- 1 Battery Pack
- 1 USB Cable
- 1 User Manual
- 2 Power Cord
- 2 Operating Guide
The PXW-FS7 camcorder tops the list. Built for superior comfort, the unit can be propped on your chest or shoulder effortlessly due to an underlayer of padding. Thus, becoming a reflection of what professional documentary shooters desire.
One of the primary requirements before shooting is the comfort in handling the camera. A camcorder with prickly rigs and viewfinders cannot be handheld in an enjoyable manner.
Weighing 12 lbs, it seems as if Sony has worked to keep the camera light and small. This magnesium framed model can be joined with an external XDCA unit that supports RAW recording at 4k or 2k resolution along with a multi-camera control feature.
The Exmor Super 35 design is ideal for the “bokeh” feature. An inbuilt ND filter wheel supports positions for 1//4,1/16, and 1/64 clear shots.
These, alongside an ISO of 2000 sensitivity and 14 exposure intercepts, offers you a large sensor, low light sensitivity, and low grained imagery.
Contributing to a higher frame rate of 180 fps, you are able to capture motions with startling precision. From water sprays to surfing, the motion capture records them at a high definition.
The adjoining XDCA unit creates a Super Slow Motion time lapse of up to 10x, and a playback mode ranging from 59.94p to 23.98p. Although carrying an inbuilt microphone, FS7 supports a 4 channel external microphone for interviewing purposes.
By incorporating all the breathtaking features, it has officially taken the spot of the best slow motion camera.
- Built-in shoulder pad and curved back – sculpted handheld comfort.
- An XQD memory card of 128GB makes space for 8 hours of continuous shooting.
- The FS7’s E Mount lens system is amicable to the cinema or SLR lenses with an arbiter
- All the controls are assigned along the Smart Grip telescoping arm for quick access.
- Adjustable length and angle of the arm to fit your shooting style.
- Flexible rod for a viewfinder that provides higher versatility for direct viewing.
- Built for ruggedness, it consists of heat pipes and air ducts to prevent overheating.
- It is an expensive product.
- The E Mounts are quite flimsy and cannot carry hefty lenses.
2. Sony Cyber‑Shot RX10 IV
Designed to accommodate professionals, the Sony RX10 IV has undoubtedly taken a massive leap from its original unit.
Incorporating miscellaneous shooting modes and long lenses in a modest-sized camera, the RX10 gives you the feel of a DSLR.
The next-generation model is built around a top grade Zeiss Sonnar T lens with 25 times zooming power. Such an extraordinary Auto Focus feature, followed by an f/4 aperture, helps you shoot faraway subjects with a crystal clear imagery.
The super slow-motion effect comes out effortlessly when Sony inculcated their stacked sensor technology in the RX10. A solid, fast-paced result is delivered using a Bionz X image processor.
You can get high definition motion clips that are 40x slower than the standard time. The High Frame Rates descend from 960 fps to 240 fps.
Toggle between Quality Priority and Shoot Time Priority to embrace the time-lapse in the 4K6 recordings. To capture the bits and pieces of a particular moment, RX10 presents to you three options to time your recording.
While the Start Trigger captures the motion before you press the recording button, the End Trigger records it after you perform the aforementioned action. The third option End Trigger Half helps in capturing those moments in a jiffy either way.
- The 24fps assists in capturing outstanding high-speed movies.
- Ideal all-in-camera for the professionals.
- Incredible picture quality.
- An impressive Eye Auto Focus function snaps exquisite portrait photographs.
- Includes a first-class OLED electronic viewfinder of 0.39″ that ensures superior stability.
- It supports an SDXC card to receive a 4K video resolution.
- Using Sony’s High-Density Tracking AF technology, you can maintain a focus around your subject in motion.
- This model is much bulkier than its predecessors.
- It is quite expensive.
- The unit is not ergonomic.
- There are no inbuilt microphones to record sound.
- Although weather coated, it does not protect the camera from dust or moisture completely.
- Poor battery life.
3. Panasonic Lumix FZ1000 4K Point and Shoot Camera
FZ1000 features the world’s first 4K video recording. The LEICA DC VARIO ELMARIT 5 glass lenses is newly developed to fit Panasonic’s aspherical mold technology. Adjoined with the large 1 inch MOS sensor the pictures come out with depth and defocused edge lines.
You can record mind-blowing QFHD videos in 3840×2160 at 25fps. Creativity has a broader scope when you use the FZ1000; from the video shots, you can cut out images of 8MP to save those missed blink-of-an-eye moments.
A 16x zoom focuses on distant objects and sharpens the view in crisp imagery. Zooming can be done in 5 steps from slow to fast, in accordance with your preferred shot.
The HYBRID O.I.S+ comes with a 5 axis tilt correction that stabilizes images and cuts out the vibrations experienced due to unsteady handling, even during a full zoom.
Furthermore, you can gather the sounds of nature home through the Stereo Shotgun Microphone.
The stereo zoom microphone has a noise reduction system; the Auto Wind Cut mode mutes the background noise of the wind. This microphone has an adjustable sound gathering system that matches every shooting situation.
Incredible high-speed HD videos can be captured along a 100 fps at 25p format, only to be viewed in ultra slow motion for a dramatic effect and to be able to enjoy those seconds which cannot be seen through the naked eye.
- You can incorporate the Time-lapse effect with a stationary recording of flowers or the moon.
- An ideal camera for travel.
- You receive direct access to the essential settings.
- The electronic XGA OLED viewfinder is one of the best features.
- The camera offers 360 shots for every charge.
- Pictures come out in poor quality when shot in low light.
- The lens is not built with durable quality.
- Poor customer service.
- Hybrid O.I.S.+ and Level Shot mode do not work during a 4K recording.
4. GoPro Hero 7
Living up to its name, Hero7 has become a quick favorite of photography aficionados. This pocket-sized camera is the most advanced GoPro product to be introduced.
Before focusing on its slow motion capabilities, let me draw your attention towards its phenomenal performances where photos and videos are concerned.
It not only features a SuperPhoto function which captures world-class images, underlining them with HDR or noise reduction mechanically but also allows you to live-stream videos on your Facebook Live.
Now, the camera supports one of the most awaited slow motion capacities. Shooting at a terrific resolution of 1080×240 it takes videography to an entirely new level.
The ultra HFR (high frame rate) slows the clips 8x down so that you relive some of the best moments in n enhanced manner.
The best part about using Hero7 for shooting videos is that the camera sports a stunning Hyper smooth video stabilization ability. Savor a 4K60 video, when your camera instinctively conditions the footage by predicting your movements.
Another lucrative slow-motion effect is the time-lapse. The speed can be increased up to 30x for you to warp long footages. The Burst mode in the camera secures 15 photos in just one second.
A huge step closer to starting your own travel and adventure vlog. Save the videos of a brilliant resolution in your SD card and can share your moments with the world using the GoPro app.
It can become your best slow motion camera with these top-notch aspects.
- Your wish to capture your underwater adventures or water sports is fulfilled as this camera is built for rough handling and is cased in waterproof technology.
- An intuitive touchscreen facilitates capturing great shots with just a tap.
- Enjoy a hands-free mode with the voice control feature. Command your camera with “GoPro start recording/take a photo.”
- Hero7 is structured to accommodate steady videography while you are engaged in an activity.
- Taking selfies or group shots are not a problem with the Hero7 featuring a timer mode. Set a timer and say cheese.
- The GoPro Hero7 gives you a sweet opportunity to upload your photos or videos on Instagram in a vertical orientation.
- A 12MP camera will spellbind you with its image clarity.
- The micro SD card is not included in the package.
- It does not contain a long battery life.
- The camera locking up is a frequent problem.
5. Nikon Coolpix P1000 Digital Camera
When you see a Nikon, you know the camera is not compromised in its built. It sports front and rear grips for long hours of comfortable hand-holding.
A robust look alike of DSLR, this digital camera performs magnificent functions through Nikon’s characteristic features.
Besides the usual Picture Control types, you can access Moon Mode for low light astrophotography, Bird Mode for bird-watching periods and a Creative Mode with 5 filters such as Light, Depth, Memory, Classical and Noir.
These effects change the mood of your images as well as heightens their brilliance. Connect your camera to an external monitor using the HDMI port to view your photographs and videos on a larger screen.
Super Zoom your lens by pressing down on a single button and take a superb macro photograph from a foot distance of your subject. Release the button for the focal length to snap back.
A flexible 3.2 inches LCD allows you to get tricky shots from every angle.
Placed above it is a 0.3 inch clear electronic viewfinder that provides incredible clarity in viewing the objects for being shot.
A flexible 125x Zoom – NIKKOR ED glass lens and 16MP low light CMOS sensor create ravishing ultra HD video content in 4K. Intensify the quality of your videos with a stereo system.
With a 3840×2160 resolution at 30p, the videos are embellished with natural light and 3000mm superzoom. The best mode to control your videos is the manual mode. It permits the adjustment of focus, exposure, and others while you record.
What makes COOLPIX P1000 the best slow motion camera is the presence of Time-lapse and Super-lapse modes. While the former can be used to synthesize still shots into a ten-second video with its intervals manually altered, the Super lapse mode shoots videos at a range of speed from 2x to 30x.
Capturing videos on an uneven terrain is not an easy feat. With blurry images and shaky videos, you can hardly comprehend any brilliance. The COOLPIX P1000 solves this problem with a Dual Detect Optical Vibration Reduction system. It stabilizes any image or video shot at either of the orientation.
- A stunning camera at a great price.
- Upgradations in superzoom mode like Dynamic fine Zoom focuses on faraway images with minimal image distortions.
- The Live View mode conducts Subject Tracking and Target Finding AF whereby the camera can assess a subject simultaneously maintaining a focus on that moving object.
- Intuitive features understand the type of picture you intend to take and selects a suitable mode among the commonly used ones, automatically.
- The hot shoe is always accessory-ready, and you can connect any of the Nikon’s handy extras from Dot Sight to external flash to a microphone.
- Gratefully, through Nikon’s SnapBridge App you can directly send your captures to your smartphone for editing and sharing.
- It is quite bulky in size and weight.
- It does not have a manual zooming ability.
- The AF is inconsistent.
- Not suitable for fast-moving objects.
- The quality of the digital zoom is disappointing and not every mode can take a raw image.
6. Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-RX100 V Digital Still Camera
When you are shooting a film, you require the best equipment to capture captivating shots. RX100 V has set the bar high when it comes to Auto Focus.
With an upgraded version of an AF system (Fast Hybrid AF), you receive a cheetah-like speed of 0.05 second focus along with a 315 phase-detection point that allows a wide coverage for AF tracking. This is especially beneficial for tiny uncaught real time moments.
With the EXMOR stacked CMOS sensor and BIONZ X image processor, you can incorporate an ultra-slow effect as well as a time-lapse .
The process of AF tracking in a continuous shot is augmented with such a high-speed image processor.
RX100 V can shoot motioned objects in an extended slow motion at up to 960fps. It is 40 times slower than the real frame rate.
Its predecessors coming nowhere nearby, the unit saves those details with superb precision that are gone amiss even in a usual slow motion mode.
- The AF tracks up to 150 shots through a high-speed shooting.
- The electronic shutter is effective while clicking animal or insect photographs as it works soundlessly.
- It has a multi tiltable LCD screen for you to twist at any angle.
- The OLED Live View Finder has a ZEISS Coating that is effectively anti-reflective.
- A 20MP high-resolution continuous shooting captures images at 24fps.
- It is an old version of the DSC RX100 V.
- The unit possesses an unstable circuit board which is capable of draining the battery power.
- Only a 4 second of footage is played back at the set speed in slow motion.
- It does not have a sturdy body.
7. Sony DSC-RX10 III Cyber-shot Digital Still Camera
Unlike its predecessors, the RX10 III has quite a fan following. Although a huge step down from the PDAF system, the image quality presented at both the resolutions – traditional and upcoming – ups the game.
Similar to the RX10 IV, this model also features ZEISS Vario-Sonnar lens boasts of an f/2.4 – f/4 aperture. Thus, assisting you in capturing elusive and vivid subjects in different angles.
Recording movies at 4K is made easier with a 1-inch EXMOR stacked sensor, because of a galloping shutter speed at up to 14fps.
The super slow motion is filmed at a High Frame Rate of up to 960fps. It gives 40 times slower dramatic effect, a resplendent low light noise reduction capability and an ultra 4K resolution without any pixel binning.
- A pocket-sized camera with one lens is a perfect unit for portability.
- At both 1080p and 4K you are not disappointed with the image quality.
- It supports wide-angle, telephoto, and macro photography.
- The menu and operating system can be organized according to your desire.
- Avoid getting the LCD screen in contact with water.
- Short lifespan.
- The unit drains the battery at a rapid pace.
- It is a bulky product which often loses balance.
8. Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 4K QFHD/HD 16X Long Zoom Digital Camera
In the box
- 1 DMC FZ1000 Camera
- 1 32GB Polaroid
- 1 Ritz Gear Deluxe DSLR Camera Bag
- 1 Polaroid Optics 62mm Multicoated UV Protective Filter
- 1 Polaroid 5 Piece Camera Cleaning Kit
- 1 Polaroid Universal LCD Screen Protector
- 1 Ritz Gear Panasonic BLC12 Rechargeable Lithium Battery
- 1 Memory Card Wallet
Ideal for capturing swift movements the DMC-FZ1000 has a shutter speed of 1/4000 second, maximum. Thus, through a wide-angle frame, you can save the split-second clippings invisible to the real-time.
Another lucrative feature is the Burst shooting capability at 12fps. Functioning at a record speed images can be shot in 20MP HD resolution. You never miss a jiffy due to a quick start-up and short release, altogether.
A 2359K OLED Live View Finder makes viewing the objects easier even under the harsh glare of the sun. You get an opportunity to shoot high definition videography in 3840×2160 resolution.
Aside from the 5 steps 16x ultra zooming feature, the DMC-FZ1000 supports two unbelievable AF modes – Low Light and Pinpoint.
The former makes it possible to focus on an object without any light, while the latter enhances magnification of any part of the object from 3x to 10x enlargement.
The Image App of Panasonic comes handy in situations where you are unable to access your camera. Zoom on an object to capture videos of equal quality using your smartphone as a remote.
The Power OIS+ with a 5 axis tilt correction steadies the videos and edges out the vibrations captured in footage to give a crisp result.
All these features above act as a catalyst when you shoot high-speed videos only to implement the slow-motion effect. Do not miss out on any fleeting moment with the dramatic mode.
Time-lapse is another such feature using which you can combine the time period of flowers blooming, clouds, and the moon in one frame.
- The inbuilt WiFi can be connected to your smartphone for direct transfer of data.
- A DFD technology presents a super fast zooming ability on distant moving objects.
- The Leica DC Vario Elmarit lens comes with 5 glass lenses.
- Panasonic offers you a 12 month round US warranty for repairing unwanted damages.
- The LCD screen has a short lifespan.
- It is too bulky to be carried around.
- The packaging does not include a lens cap.
9. Panasonic GH5 Lumix C4K Mirrorless Camera
In the box
- 1 GH5s C4K Mirrorless Camera Body
- 1 64GB Sony SF-G Series SD Card (class 10)
- 1 Dual USB Charger for Panasonic Battery (DMW – BLF19)
- 1 Battery (2 pack)
- 1 Weatherproof Hard Case with Customizable Foam
- 1 USA Manufacturer Guarantee
Panasonic has created yet another best slow motion camera and presents a polished performance, easy portability, and incomparable sturdiness.
Sporting a Micro Four Thirds lens mount the GH5 is built on an interchangeable lens camera standard. It successfully captures RAW images and videos that are rendered noise-proof using the supersonic wave filters.
The mirrorless camera has an HDR Hybrid Log-Gamma and professional grade exposure tools like Waveform and Vector Scopes pre-installed. They enable a thorough inspection of color balance and brightness.
You can record videos with the help of a cutting edge C4K technology. Above the 3.2 inch LCD screen, you have a marvelously large OLED viewfinder of 3680K resolution through which visibility is heightened even under the sunlight.
After capturing the beautiful moments, any professional would want to display it on a larger screen for further scrutiny. A full-sized HDMI port with a cable lock helps you connect your camera with the television or monitor to fulfill your intended purpose.
Revamped with a new Digital Live MOS sensor, a radically dynamic range of spectrum is observed due to the 10.8MP. Alongside, the GH5 has a sound capability of taking videos in low light.
It is the VFR that enables slow-motion shots in a much more wider and dramatic angle. In 4k quality, 60fps goes 2.5x slower and in full high definition; it is for 240fps, which goes 10x slower.
When the frame rates go at a faster pace, you can slow the video down in order to edit the timeline. In this manner, you do not have the risk of losing any details. The shutter effects are reduced as well.
- With 2 packs of battery and a Sony SD card of 64GB, you can take pictures or shoot videos for days.
- Effortless capture of 4K video and HDR mode.
- 3 years warranty offered by Panasonic gives you unlimited damage repair facility.
- GH5 is a perfect camera for professionals with its high-grade control mechanisms.
- The LUMIX Image App uses Bluetooth 4.2 to enable shutter clicks and video recording to start or stop.
- The WiFi is automatically connected after completion of work, and your shots are transferred in RAW to your device.
- Dual Native ISO captures videos with superb precision and low noise.
- It might pinch your pocket.
- The case is flimsy and made with inexpensive materials.
10. Canon PowerShot G16 Digital Camera
In the box
- 1 G16 Digital Camera
- 1 Padded Carrying Case
- 1 AC/DC Turbo Travel Charger
- 1 Extra Battery
- 1 Mini Tabletop Tripod
- 1 Professional Wrist grip Strap
- 1 High-Speed digital card reader/writer
- 32GB Transcend SDHC Memory Card (class 10)
- Deluxe Starter Cleaning Kit
- 2-1 Lens Cleaning Pen
- 6pc Memory Card Case
Exhibiting a premium quality durable build, G16 does not have a startling contrast to its predecessors. The controls are scattered systematically on the top of its compact body.
The layout is convenient for accessing buttons in the spur of the moment. This point and shoot camera provide the enthusiasts with results they will be proud of.
Unlike the other G series models, G16 is slimmer and lighter. It supports the ergonomic demands of photographers with the finger grip and thumb rest.
Near the controls, there is an exposure atonement dial that gives up to 3- stop intervals. This makes the exposure rectification seem like a cakewalk. The back of the camera carries a 0.3 inches LCD screen, four-point toggle buttons, rotation control crib, ISO, Menu, Filtering Display, and Auto Focus frame choice buttons.
When you opt for the Canon G16, you must be familiar with its signature viewfinder located right above the LCD screen. The aforementioned feature is suitable for viewing crystal clear images under the glare of the sun.
To shoot videos, click on the red button near the top. The auto mode programmed by default only records some basic clips, you receive a Select Movie mode where you can adjust the frame, and resolution and a Hybrid Auto mode captures split-second moments. However, apart from enabling a smooth control over the zooming and low light sensitivity, nono of these modes allow you to change the exposure.
Other than offering high definition imagery at 1080p, the camera is known for possessing some of the best super slow motion functions.
You can shoot clips either at 640×480 resolution and play it back at 120 fps, or check in with 240 fps using a 320×240 resolution.
If you have a knack for following star trails, the G series blesses you with a brand new Star Time-Lapse Movie mode for shooting them.
- Equipped with an inbuilt Wi-Fi system, you can share your clips directly with the world.
- The mindblowing AF system achieves focus in a swift and effortless manner.
- The shutter button performs a dual-action, one to take a shot and other to recompose and lock focus.
- With the high speed zoom lens you get the chance to save vivid photographs even in low light.
- A 12MP camera diminishes the pixel density and gives clearer and top quality images in higher ISOs.
- With a 1.7 inches stacked sensor and DIGIC 6 processor you can access ISO at 12800 setting and 60fps videography.
- The Burst mode is ineffective when the ISO is at maximum.
- The time-lapse or high-speed motions are not recorded efficiently due to the significant lack of a PDAF system.
- Incomprehensive user manual.
Best Slow Motion Cameras: What’s Your Pick?
Well, now that you have reached the conclusion, I can presume that you possess a coherent concept of the best slow motion camera you were looking for.
Remember, cameras are expensive, especially when you plan to purchase a high grade and best performing slow-motion cameras.
The more specifications you would desire, the higher will be the cost. Hence, basing your purchase merely on reviews will not suffice. You will have to keep in mind a few other aspects.
Two of the most essential factors being the price and the need for the camera, once you spend a hefty amount, you would certainly not want it to collect dust in a corner, let alone get a malfunctioning one.
With that being said, I wish you the very best for your research and hope that you have gained a fruitful insight through this article.