|1. Canon||2. Nikon||3. Canon|
Capturing images is not an easy task. It requires passion, will and the most important of all, the right set of equipment. Some of the essentials include a good camera, appropriate lightings, batteries, memory cards, different set of cables and a few kind of lenses.
Today, in this article, our main focus shall be on the best lens for portraits available in the market. Before we delve into why you should be buying one and discovering the options available, let us first understand what exactly a portrait lens is.
Human beings are the most captivating motif when it comes to photography. It takes skills and experience to capture the emotions and sentiments of a person while clicking a portrait.
Human portraits can indeed be taken easily using any lens or the simplest of cameras. However, to get the best outcome, we suggest you use the best camera lenses that are specially designed for portraits. If you are someone who has a keen interest in photography, you should start with portrait photography. It is the most basic yet the most beautiful form of photography.
A good lens gives you great photographs. The more you invest in a good one, the better the result or outcome you will achieve. Even though it is fairly expensive, portrait lenses are versatile and can be used for capturing landscape photographs as well.
To take a beautiful and natural human portrait, you need a lens of a specific aperture and focal length. Portrait lenses which have a focal length of anywhere between 70mm to 135mm are considered to be the best when it comes to portrait photography.
Before we learn about the factors which constitute the best camera lens for portraits, let us know about the different kinds of portrait lenses.
There are two kinds of portrait camera lenses:
- Zoom lenses.
- Prime lenses.
Here is a list of differences between these two kinds of lenses.
|Has a wide range of focal lengths and thus is suitable for amateurs as it gives them more zooming options.||Has a limited number of focal lengths’ thus you would have to maintain a specific distance with the subject.|
|Cheaper as compared to the prime lenses.||Expensive in comparison to zoom lenses.|
|Suitable for beginners who have just started pursuing the field of photography.||Suitable for professional photographers who want to take their business to new and better heights.|
|Because of the wide range of focal lengths, images are often not very clear or sharp.||Images obtained are sharper, clearer and of much better quality in terms of color and brightness.|
|Good bokeh quality. You can create a good blur effect in the background.||Relatively better bokeh quality. The background effects are always extremely professional.|
Today, through this article, you’ll be introduced to a few of the best portrait lens and the best lens for portrait photography. If you are new to the area of photography and want to develop your skills, you should invest in the best lens for portraits.
Factors To Look For When Buying The Best Lens For Portraits
Aperture is the opening or the hole in the lens through which light enters the camera. The regulation of an aperture in a lens is related to the speed of the shutter. A fast shutter will require a larger aperture and a slow shutter will require a smaller aperture.
The best camera lens for portraits has a wide aperture. An aperture of f/8 or more is considered to be the best as it would help in getting larger blurred areas for the background. Usually, portrait photographers prefer to keep the main focus on the face of the subject and tend to blur out the background in order to enhance the focus on the subject.
A wide aperture in a camera leads to a shallower depth of field. Any lens which has wider aperture preferably of f/8 or more tends to increase the focus on the face of the subject by making the focus more precise, accurate and sharper in appearance.
2) Zoom Lens Or Prime Lens
Choosing between a zoom lens and a prime lens is, for most people, a challenging task. To make the difference between a zoom lens and prime lens much clearer, you may refer to the table mentioned above.
At the end of the day, it is more about the choice and preference. If you are a beginner, you may want to start with the zoom lens as it is much cheaper and has quite a straightforward working.
However, if you are someone who wants to elevate their photography game, you should not think twice before investing in a prime lens. It has a limited number of focal lengths, and thus the images obtained are always very sharp, bright and of excellent quality. Therefore, the best lens for photography could be either zoom lens or prime lens, as per your own discretion and requirement.
3) Focal Length
Focal length again is an essential factor to look into while buying the best lens for portraits. While clicking a portrait photo, the main focus is mostly on the face of the subject. Hence, you should always go for the lens with a longer focal length to take a close up photo of the subject without creating any contortion.
If the focal length is short and the distance between the subject and the lens is less, the images formed are usually manipulated. A focal length if 105mm is considered the best for a full- frame camera.
That being said, the focal length differs in different cameras based on the sensors present in the camera. So, be it a standard lens or a wide angle lens, the focal length would always in compliance with the camera’s sensors.
4) Size And Weight Of The Lens
As one must be well aware, cameras are already bulky. They are not something which you can easily carry around. It might not be very big at times, but it most often is quite heavy. In order to not add to the weight, a small, lightweight lens is the way to go.
While clicking a portrait, the camera and lens are always in close proximity to the subject. To avoid any inconvenience, one should always opt for a lens which is small-scale but retains all the features.
The best lens for portraits should be travel-friendly and easily adjustable in bags to carry around. Thus, features should not be compromised on. Always go for the one which meets your requirements.
5) The Bokeh Feature
You must be wondering what Bokeh is and how is it related to our topic of discussion? When you use a fast lens with the widest aperture available, the soft effect that you obtain at the blurred background, which is out of focus is known as bokeh.
Bokeh is a very aesthetically pleasing effect to the eyes. It can take a dull image to a very high magnitude.
When we talk about bokeh, the best bokeh outcome is obtained through the best portrait lens which have highly modified optics. Boken effects lets the photographer drive more attention to the subject, while also keeping aesthetics in mind.
Making a budget and keeping it in consideration is the most vital step before you purchase anything. Lenses are usually expensive, but on the other hand, it is a very important and essential investment.
Someone who is just a beginner and still in the initial phases of photography might want to start with a small purchase so that they can develop their skills. The next step in such a scenario would then be to go for a more expensive purchase. This will eventually help you in growing your business.
Generally, the best camera lens for portraits are expensive as compared to the normal ones and could cost you anywhere between $300 to $800. The best decision at this point would be to go for the expensive ones, but only once you are ready to take up photography professionally.
Top 15 Best Lens For Portraits 2019
1. Canon EF Telephoto Lens For Canon SLR Cameras
Product Dimensions: 2.8 x 3 x 3 inches
Item Weight: 15 ounces
Model Number: 2519A012
Focal Length: 85 mm
The Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8 maximum aperture and USM medium telephoto lens for canon SLR cameras is one of the best camera lenses available in the market. The ultrasonic motor(USM) assists in getting the subject in focus without having to fidget a lot with the lens itself.
With the 85 mm focal length, the natural angle of view that comes with the lens is the best available option for portrait images. The portrayal of the subject through this lens is extremely precise and accurate.
The lens is portable and easy to carry around. With the help of computer simulations, you always get images with beautifully blurred backgrounds. This lens works best in a controlled environment.
This lens can definitely be termed as the best lens for portraits canon has to offer. It is a good investment for beginners who have just started their journey in the field of photography and more so in the field of portrait photography.
- The depth of field is accurate and functions to its best capability.
- If worked upon perfectly, the bokeh effect results are beautiful.
- The contrast with the images is balanced, and the results are sharp and on point.
- Also recommended to shoot videos with its high precision modes.
- The lens is not zoomable; hence, a specific minimum distance has to be maintained.
- Does not come with lens hood and has to be purchased separately.
- You cannot use it for general photography as it can result in blurry images.
- Full body shots require extra work and labor.
2. Nikon AF S Nikkor Fixed Lens For Nikon DSLR Cameras
Product Dimensions: 2.9 x 3.1 x 3.1 inches
Item Weight: 12.3 ounces
Model Number: 2201
Focal Length: 85 mm
If you are looking for the best lens for family portraits nikon has something great in store for you. The Nikon AF S NIKKOR fixed lens for Nikon DSLR Cameras is the solution for all the photography related problems when it comes to huge family gatherings.
It comes with a fast aperture and focal length of about 85 mm with a minimum focus range of 0.80 m. Unlike many other lenses that Nikon has to offer, this lens comes with an in-built Silent Wave Motor. This helps focus on the subject quickly with more accuracy and also cancels any noticeable noise.
It comes with a total of 7 diaphragm blades and with an added super integrated coating. The f1.8 allows faster shutter speed even in the lowest of lightings. It also has very less chromatic aberrations and supports much more definition across the frame.
- The high-speed lens works best both indoors and outdoors.
- It is incredibly lightweight and hence, travel-friendly.
- The aperture and the background blur always looks very professional.
- You can always maintain a good and comfortable distance with your subject.
- You can face some minute chromatic issues on the hair of the subject.
- Not recommended to be used in a cramped setting.
- With moving objects, the focus might be a little slow.
- After regular use of several years, it might require constant calibration.
3. Canon EF Standard & Medium Telephoto Lens For Canon SLR Cameras
Product Dimensions: 2 x 2.9 x 2.9 inches
Item Weight: 10.2 ounces
Model Number: 2515A003
Focal Length: 50mm
When we ask what is the best lens for portraits, we might come across several options available in the market. However, the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Standard & Medium Telephoto Lens for Canon SLR Cameras gives a tough competition to all.
With a focal length of 50 mm, it is an ideal lens option for multiple scenarios. It can be used for professional photography as well as for daily routine photography. The ultrasonic autofocus motor ensures that the operation is precise, fast, accurate and with 0 % noise.
It comes with 8 diaphragm blades and two high refraction lens elements. The new Gaussian optics, the lens is made up of, reduces astigmatism, which is blurred vision caused by the eyes. A minimum focusing distance of 17.8 inches is required. Along with the ultrasonic autofocus motor, it also comes with an inbuilt hypersonic motor, ensuring full-time manual focusing for the user.
- Even at the maximum aperture, it has superior peripheral brightness.
- With a weight of about 10.2 ounces, you can carry it around with yourself.
- It is the best camera lens for both professional as well as casual photography.
- It can easily suppress astigmatic difference, leading to a crisp image with minimal fault.
- Auto- focusing option is a little slower compared to other lenses in the market.
- The focus ring is very delicate and would require extra care and attention.
- While focusing, it might make some unnecessary noises.
4. Nikon AF-S FX Nikkor For Nikon DSLR Cameras
Product Dimensions: 2.1 x 2.9 x 2.9 inches
Item Weight: 10.2 ounces
Model Number: 2180
Focal Length: 50 mm
About the product:
We cannot forget to mention the Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 50mm f/1.4G Lens with Autofocus for Nikon DSLR Cameras when we talk about the best lens for portraits. This is a must-have lens for everyday use along with standard portrait photography. The fast f/1.4 aperture allows the user to click images with a shallow depth of field.
This lens can capture and give you amazing results even in the most dull lighting. It can render a beautiful background and an aesthetically pleasing blur in different kinds of photography which includes portraits, outdoors, indoors, food etc.
The images obtained are extremely sharp with precise lines, very natural lighting and brightness, and does not alter the authenticity of the subject. The lens are polarised and therefore helps in shading sunlight and extra glares.
- It can capture beautiful images even in the most non-conventional surroundings.
- The wide- aperture settings ensures a beautiful bokeh effect.
- Comes with Nikon’s super integrated coating technology to enhance light transmission efficiency.
- It maintains color consistency and the natural perspective of the image.
- It curtails any kind of aberration within the image.
- Not recommended for landscape photography which requires wide lens and narrow aperture.
- The focusing speed is not very fast and efficient.
- Does not come with an aperture ring.
- The lens hood comes off very easily at times.
5. Canon EF-S HTC Kaesemann Circular Polarizer
Model Number: 9519B002
Focal Length: 18 mm
The Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Lens w/ B+W 67mm XS-Pro HTC Kaesemann Circular Polarizer has an ultra wide zoom lens. It comes with an optical image stabilizer which eliminates blur caused due to the minute shaking of the lens or by any small movement by the subject.
It has a stepping motor which reduces extra noise produced while shooting a video through the camera. This ensures the authenticity of the video. It also has a very close focusing distance. The images obtained are bright, sharp and does not look filtered or altered at all.
The filter that comes with it uses the XS- pro digital mount which works best with wide angle and zoom lens. The mount is made of polycarbonate, which is a very sturdy material, has a long shelf-life and does not break easily. Hence you can carry it around with you without having to worry much.
- It is extremely lightweight and the material it is made up of is also strong and sturdy.
- The auto-focus does not incur any extra noise.
- The images obtained are highly stabilised.
- For the price it comes at, the features are very immaculate.
- Cannot perform at its level best in low lighting.
- The images formed at times can be a little distorted when compared to other lenses.
- If exposed directly to light, it can cause flares.
- The lense is mostly made up of plastic hence requires extra care.
6. Sony Mid-Range Lens For Sony E Mount Nex Cameras
Product Dimensions: 2.4 x 2.4 x 2.4 inches
Item Weight: 7.2 ounces
Model Number: SEL50F18
Focal Length: 50 mm
The Sony 50mm f/1.8 Mid-Range Lens for Sony E Mount Nex Cameras is one of the best lens for portrait photography. It can easily be vouched as the best friend for your DSLR cameras. It requires a minimum focus distance of 1.28 ft and a maximum magnification ratio of 0.16x along with a focal length of 50 mm.
It comes with a built-in optical steady shot image stabilization which reduces vibrations. This feature assists the photographers in taking images under low lighting or with a shaky subject.. The large aperture of F1.8 ensures beautiful images.
Unlike conventional apertures, this lens has circular aperture blades that enhances the bokeh effect. The background effects are thus much smoother, and natural defocused areas of background can be obtained.
- This lens is ideal for both still images as well as for shooting videos.
- The gyro sensors present in this lens help in detecting the slightest of movement.
- The lens also encourages stabilization which counteracts any blurs that might be obtained.
- It comes with quiet linear motor technology.
- The focus is slow, so you might face a problem with impatient subjects.
- The crop factor is too extreme for the lens.
- The focusing can be a problem in low-light situations.
- The lens is not zoomable so zooming in and zooming out would not be an option.
7. Canon EF USM Telephoto Zoom Lens For Canon SLR Cameras
Product Dimensions: 6.8 x 3 x 3 inches
Item Weight: 14.1 ounces
Model Number: 2578A002
Focal Length: 70- 200 mm
The Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras is one of the best lens for portraits canon has to offer. The lens is constructed with 16 elements in a total of 13 groups. It is a high performing L series telephoto zoom lens.
It is highly efficient, very compact in size and travel-friendly, considering that it’s extremely lightweight and portable. You can carry it around with you to places, just in case you feel like capturing a moment even at the most unconventional places.
You can use this lens to capture the fastest of moving objects, and you can also easily zoom in to capture the minutest of details within the subject. The zoom lens supports rotation, and the closest focusing distance that can be maintained is that of 3.9 feet.
- Delivers quiet and quick focusing for best image results.
- Can easily attach a circular polarizing filter without any hassle.
- The telephoto lens helps in giving dramatic effects to your images, something which helps bring your imaginations into reality.
- The front lens element does not rotate while focusing.
- Does not come with a tripod collar so you would have to purchase it separately.
- Might be a little expensive option for beginners.
- You might face fabric issues with the focusing ring.
- It is not weather resistant, and you may not be able to use it in harsh environments.
8. Nikon AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor Lens
Product Dimensions: 4.6 x 3.3 x 3.3 inches
Item Weight: 1.74 pounds
Model Number: 2160
Focal Length: 105 mm
Nikon AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED Lens is a highly rated product; a favourite among many. It is especially designed for macro photography and for close up shots. Made up of VR II vibration reduction technology for the best outcomes even in the shakiest of environments.
The ED glass elements and the nanocrystal coating on the lens ensures that the light flares are reduced and any chromatic aberrations are nullified. This produces top-notch quality images. The internal focus ensures quiet autofocusing and fast focusing without having to change the length of the lens.
The best lens for family portraits nikon has to offer includes this lens as you can use it to click beautiful family portraits in huge gatherings. You also save money by not hiring a professional photographer to do that and can cover the function by yourself as this lens has very easy and user-friendly features.
- If you are looking for a professional camera which can also be used for daily purposes, go for this.
- With the 105 mm focal length and wide aperture, it captures the most stunning images.
- Images are captured with a shallow depth of field, and hence separates the subject from the background, effortlessly.
- Capture high quality images even in the lowest of light.
- Does not come with zoom options so you cannot change focal lengths.
- Can be a little heavy in comparison to other camera lenses.
- As compared to other lenses in the same price bracket, it makes heavy noise.
- For the focus to work at its best, it requires a good amount of contrast within the image.
9. Canon EF Wide Angle Lens
Product Dimensions: 2.5 x 3.1 x 3.1 inches
Item Weight: 11.8 ounces
Model Number: 5178B002
Focal Length: 35 mm
Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Wide-Angle Lens is constructed with 10 elements in 8 groups with a view of a diagonal angle of 63 degrees. It comes with a rear focusing system with USM focus adjustment and is one of the best lens for portraits available in the market with high user ratings.
It offers bright images which comes with stabilization and outstanding image quality. The images are sharp and precise, and the construction is adaptable for any EOS digital cameras. The mechanics of the product is also well put along with a spherical lens element for a high quality image.
It also allows manual focusing system and the operations are very quiet because of the help of the micro-stepping drive. The 8-blade circular aperture diaphragm can be used for soft backgrounds for achieving the best and the most favourable results.
- Can easily detect normal shooting or panning.
- The focusing power is very quick along with amazing output.
- The autofocus performance is extremely precise.
- Can shoot landscape images as well without causing any distortions.
- Lightweight and the material it is made up of is of high quality.
- Bokeh effect is not as natural as compared to other lenses.
- Does not come with a bag to carry it around it.
- Depth of field might be too shallow for some users to get appropriate focus.
- Can exhibit a little amount of flare when used outdoors and thus might alter the end result of the image.
10. Rokinon Ultra Wide Fixed Lens For Fujifilm X-Mount Cameras
Product Dimensions: 3 x 3.1 x 3.1 inches
Item Weight: 1.19 pounds
Model Number: 85M-FX
Focal Length: 85 mm
Rokinon 85M-FX 85mm F1.4 Ultra Wide Fixed Lens for Fujifilm X-Mount Cameras can also be dubbed as one of the best camera lenses, mostly for portrait photography. It has a total of 9 elements in 7 groups. It comes with a filter size of 12 mm, and a removable lens hood is also present.
It gives a good focal length of about 85 mm and a bright aperture which is the ideal combination for the best portrait lens. With the 8 diaphragm blades, you can also create a beautiful bokeh effect, hence making the background extremely pleasing to the eyes.
The bright f/1.4 medium telephoto portrait lens is the best option for low-light photography. You can also obtain a good focus for the images, without having to rotate the front lens element, and this avoids you having to fiddle with the delicate parts of the lens.
- The large aperture ensures more gathering of light for good results even in low light.
- Can cover full frame sensors as well as sensors of smaller sizes.
- Prime lenses are high performing and results in high quality, sharp and bright images.
- Extra mechanics and glass are not required for zooming options.
- It does not support autofocus, and that has to be done manually.
- The pictures obtained are as soft as a F2.0 lens.
- Focusing distance is limited and restricted to a certain range.
- The lens shade may at times get crooked if handled in a quick pace.
11. Sony Prime Fixed Lens
Product Dimensions: 1.8 x 2.5 x 2.5 inches
Item Weight: 5.4 ounces
Model Number: SEL35F18.AE
Focal Length: 35 mm
It comes with a minimum focus distance of 0.99 feet and a maximum magnification ratio of 0.15x. This lens with new optical design can be used for amazing peripheral sharpness and contrast as well and comes with an inbuilt image stabilization option.
The focusing is quick and noise-free so that shooting a movie also becomes easy and gives the best output. It is made up of extra-low dispersion glass which avoids chromatic aberrations and provides superior contrast across the image.
Gyro sensors, which are an essential part of any best lens for photography is present in this lens as well. It helps in detecting the slightest of movement to avoid any altered image and get the most natural result possible. A filter thread is also present at the front of the lens which does not rotate.
- It has a short minimum focusing distance.
- Because of the filter thread, you can conveniently use a polarising filter.
- The working of the lens is silent and also extremely smooth.
- Direct manual focus feature is also available for the best outcome.
- The lens is not zoomable, so the camera has to be put at a certain distance from the subject to get the desired result.
- Shooting in direct sunlight may cause flares in the images produced. So it might not work at its best outdoors.
- The steady shot motor present in the camera produces some noise at times.
- It would be a better option for someone just getting into photography rather than a professional photographer.
12. Nikon AF FX Nikkor Lens For Nikon DSLR Cameras
Product Dimensions: 1.7 x 2.6 x 2.6 inches
Item Weight: 8.2 ounces
Model Number: 1902
Focal Length: 50 mm
The Nikon AF FX NIKKOR 50mm F/1.4D DSLR Lens with Autofocus for Nikon DSLR Cameras is constructed with a total of 7 elements in 6 groups. It can accept filters up to 52 mm with a maximum aperture of f/1.4 and a minimum aperture of f/16.
It is an aspherical lens which is curved and comes with a non-spherical surface which helps in reducing coma or any other lens aberrations. It helps in reducing any kind of distortion in a wide- angled image, and this gives a more compact image.
It can work very well in even harsh environments such as unexpected rains and can do wonders in a low-light setting. Thus if you are an avid traveller, this is perfect for you to carry around with you to capture the moments and scenic views.
- Because of its wide aperture settings, it gives out beautiful bokeh effects.
- It retains the natural perspective of the image without altering it at all.
- With the Nikon’s super integrated coating, the color consistency is superior and of the best quality.
- It also comes with a silent wave motor for fast, precise and noise-free autofocusing.
- A major part of the lens is made up of plastic, hence the make isn’t very sturdy.
- The zoom in and zoom out options are not available, and thus only a fixed distanced image can be obtained.
- The outcome of images in a cramped setting might not be of the best quality.
- Does not come with a lens hood.
- Best results are obtained in an indoor setting as compared to an outdoor one.
13. Sony SEL85F18 Medium-Telephoto Fixed Prime Camera Lens
Product Dimensions: 4.5 x 3.8 x 4.7 inches
Item Weight: 13 ounces
Model Number: SEL85F18
Focal Length: 85 mm
The best camera lens for portraits includes the Sony SEL85F18 85mm F/1.8-22 Medium-Telephoto Fixed Prime Camera Lens. It comes with a 9 blade circular aperture which helps create a beautiful bokeh effect that is pleasing to the eyes and also adds an amazing effect to the images.
It comes with a double linear motor system for quick and precise focusing without creating any unnatural noise. Thus, along with taking still images, you can also create beautiful motion videos with the help of this lens.
The maximum magnification ratio is that of 0:13 and the angle of view is around 29 degrees. You can directly control the images formed with the help of the customizable focus hold button. It is an ideal lens for both APS C cameras and full frame cameras.
- It comes with a focal length of 85 mm, which is the ideal length for portrait photography.
- The AF/MF switch is present to quickly switch between autofocus or manual focus.
- Comes with the extra-low dispersion glass to avoid chromatic aberrations.
- Even with large aperture settings, it provides corner to corner sharpness.
- It is dust and moisture resistant and hence can be used in harsh environments.
- Has high noise levels for an indoor setting photography.
- Complicated artificial lighting is required because of the distance to the subject.
- The depth of field is too shallow, which might not work for artistic or human portraits. Best suitable for beginners into the field of photography.
14. Sigma Contemporary DC DN Lens For Sony E
Product Dimension: 2.9 x 2.5 x 2.5 inches
Item Weight: 9.3 ounces
Model Number: 302965
Focal Lenght: 30 mm
The compact lens, stepping ring motor and 9 rounded aperture blades of the Sigma 30mm F1.4 Contemporary DC DN Lens makes for the best camera lens for portraits.
It is one of the sharpest lenses existing for E mount and has a fast working focus which results in images of great quality and precision. It is best to use it in natural settings and is a very good option for people who are involved with regular video blogging.
It works best for portrait photography as well as landscape photography, minimizing any kind of distortion. This results in a sharp and crisp focus on the subject. It also helps in creating a beautiful bokeh effect and even has excellent outputs in low lighting.
- One of the best supported apertures available in the market.
- It provides extremely sharp and crisp images, and the pixels are also not distorted.
- Gives out amazing results even in low light settings.
- Pocket friendly prices.
- It does not support image stabilization; hence shooting a video might turn out to be a hassle.
- The splitting of light on the edges of a subject causes purple fringing, also known as chromatic aberrations.
- It does not come with a lens case. Extra care would be required for the maintenance of the lens.
15. Sigma Standard Zoom Lens For Nikon Digital DSLR Camera
Product Dimensions: 5.5 x 5 x 4.5 inches
Item Weight: 1.8 pounds
Model Number: 4332022254
Focal Length: 50 mm
Another one of the best camera lens available, the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD Large Aperture Standard Zoom Lens for Nikon Digital DSLR Camera is an extremely user-oriented product. It comes with elementary features which are easy to understand yet powerful in functioning.
It is super versatile and can be used in numerous surroundings and settings. The autofocus light is quick and precise. The make of the lens can be a little bulkier when compared to other lenses. However, it does not affect the smooth functioning of the lens in any aspect.
It is adaptable to a maximum magnification of 1:5 ratio and requires a minimum focusing distance of around 28 cms. It has a large aperture and a highly stabilized lens. It can work best for still images as well as for capturing videos.
- It retains the sharpness of the image along with giving an amazing bokeh effect.
- Easily captures zoomed in portraits as well as landscaped images without any distortion.
- You can get multiple outputs in different surroundings without having to constantly fidget with the settings on the lens.
- The lens is comparatively heavier in nature as compared to other lenses with the same feature.
- The autofocus is a little slow in working hence takes up time.
- Some extra noise is created during the working of the autofocus.
Tips For The Maintenance Of Lenses
Buying a good lens is an investment one needs to make. It is not the most convenient and pocket-friendly purchases. However, one should also not compromise with the features they want in their lenses and should always go for the best available option in the market.
Since so much of money goes into buying the best lens for portraits, we must take good care of it so that it stays with us for a long time.
Here are a few tricks and tips for the easy and long- term maintenance of your camera lenses.
If you are someone who is constantly photographing outdoors, be wary of factors such as dust, fungus, water etc. Not all lenses are dust and water resistant. Hence, you must always ensure to choose clean surroundings and should occasionally opt for indoor settings as well.
A UV filter can be used to avoid the dust and germs from entering into your camera lens. If you tend to drop your camera a lot, a UV filter will act as a security blanket for your lens, which prevents it from breaking easily.
Always buy a good quality cloth, a strong and sturdy lens case and some powerful yet mild gel or cleaning spray. Make sure you regularly clean your lens and always keep your lens in its case for extra protection. A case also helps in easily carrying your lens from one place to another.
Always make sure that you shut your camera off before you take off the lens so as to avoid any static charge on the lens and the attraction of dust is also reduced. If you are not a keen user of gels and cleaning sprays, you can opt for blowers to remove the dust before installing the lens back.
Never leave the lens mount of the camera open for a long time. Always opt for cleaning and changing your lenses in a clean and dust free environment where you shall be devoid of any external particles entering into your camera lens.
Invest in a good camera bag and always keep it clean. There are always chances of dust and other harmful elements entering your bag. Thus, you should wash your bag regularly and take good care of it.
If there is any dust present on the lens of the camera, you will be able to locate it while taking a photo. Make sure that you always have some extra piece of clean cloth with you so that you can immediately change or clean your lenses when you find it unclean.
Avoid touching the lens directly with your finger. This can lead to fingerprints and constant touch can lead to scratches and other damages on the lenses which might be difficult to remove later.
Always go for camera lenses which comes with a lens cover. This will avoid making a separate purchase for a lens cover and will help you save money.
Lastly, save up to buy an extra lens. An extra lens will always help you in the long run. If you are a beginner, one lens would do. But, if you are a professional and photography is your livelihood, it is important that you invest in two lenses. This will help you save time and also will work wonders at times of emergencies.
If you have managed to reach this part of the article, that must mean you have acquainted yourself with some of the best lens for portraits. You must now know the different factors which makes up a good lens, the prices at which they are available, the functions they do along with their advantages and disadvantages.
Photography is a very successful field which many people have started pursuing. From nature photography to food photography to making movies to daily video blogs to self portraits, you will find thousands of opportunities in this field. One of the most interesting fields is portrait photography.
Portrait photography is the most raw yet beautiful form of photography.
It brings out the authenticity behind the subject. You can capture the emotions and sentiments of the subject for a lifetime to which people can form a deep association.
In portrait photography, the photographer and subject forms a relationship. In portrait captures, usually the main focus is drawn upon the eyes and the expression of the subject, giving a soft focus to other parts of the photo. This methods lends out a deep emotion within the portrait.
Portrait photography is not easy. There are many factors and aspects one must take into account before jumping into the same. The direction of light, the color of the image, the intensity of the colors, sharpness, brightness, the tone of the image, shadows and highlights in the image and other such factors are looked upon to get the best shot.
Along with this, the background has to be taken into consideration as well. These days, the bokeh effect is in fashion. This is a faded form of background which is aesthetically pleasing to the eyes. It brings a source of calmness to the portrait and sharpens the focus on the subject. Some portraits are also shot in manually set backgrounds to bring about a storyline.
Photography involves a great deal of creativity and planning. It consumes good amount of time and energy. Small factors such as the weather can change the whole setting and delay the process. It involves heavy labor and a patient set of mind.
The most beautiful part about it is that it opens your creative horizons and allows you to bring your ideas and objectives into fruition. You can add effects to images, create your own settings and thus make create beautiful pictures.
Photography and to be specific portrait photography lets you capture a moment forever. It can seize the emotions. It can bring out the vulnerable side of the subject and expose the most raw and organic expressions and feelings. You get into this field with keeping in mind that it will offer more than you have anticipated for.
So, awaken the photographers in you and go through the amazing lenses mentioned above. Reach more about it through the links mentioned. Check out their reviews, make a budget and then go for the best lens your pocket and choice allows you to.